The Sanitation Division is responsible for weekly pickup of solid waste. All garbage must be in plastic garbage bags of 0.75 mil thickness or greater with the top tied and placed in the City-provided trash carts prior to 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Appliances are collected curbside at no extra charge (please call to arrange pickup). If you have additional questions please call the office at (828) 697-3084.
Appliances the City will pick up:
- Refrigerator (remove doors)
- Freezer (remove doors)
- Water Heater
- Televisions - a $25 disposal fee is required for the city to pick up and dispose of a television. (The city is charged a fee at the Henderson County Transfer Station.)
View our Environmental Services Resources Guide [PDF] and access additional information about our services. For our customers who prefer Spanish, view our Environmental Services Resources Guide - Spanish version [PDF].
View the City Garbage Route Map [PDF]
View the 2020 Holiday Collection Schedule
The Sanitation Division DOES NOT pick up:
- Auto Parts – antifreeze, motor filters, scrap parts, batteries, should be taken to the Henderson County Transfer Station.
- Construction & Building Materials – bricks, cement, lumber, plaster, carpet, toilets, doors, roofing materials and sheeting must be taken to the Henderson County Transfer Station by the homeowner or contractor.
- Hazardous Waste – watch for Henderson County's Solid Waste Department's next Hazardous Waste Collection Event.
- Leaves, grass, and brush produced by a contractor (it must be hauled off by the contractor).
- BAGGED yard waste and/or leaves.
The Sanitation Division will pick-up bulky items such as furniture, mattresses, box springs, computers, or TV's for a fee, which is assessed by the Environmental Service Supervisor. Please contact 828-697-3084 to arrange for a bulky item pick-up.
Residential Solid Waste Monthly Cost:
96-gallon container (non recycler): $22.00
96-gallon container (actively recycles): $18.50
32-gallon container (non recycler): $20.00
32-gallon container (actively recycles): $16.25
Commercial Solid Waste Monthly Cost:
Commercial Garbage - (96-gallon cart): - $24.00 - (includes free 65 gallon recycling cart and weekly collection)
Commercial Garbage - (Non-recycler) - $27.50
Commercial - recycling only - once per week collection $12.00 (up to four 65 gallon carts or 1.28 cubic yards)
Commercial - recycling only - twice per week collection $22.00 (up to four 65 gallon carts)
Special loads Minimum fee of $150.00 plus tipping fees of $60.00 per ton
Special load (small) Minimum of $50.00 plus tipping fees of $60.00 per ton
Mulch: (Mulch is currently free during our free mulch give away events. Watch for our press releases concerning these events.)
Special Services Assistance: The City of Hendersonville has a "special service" policy for residents who are unable to get their trash and/or recyclables to the curb on their collection days. The Code of Ordinances, Chapter 44 Solid Waste Management, Section 44-52 Special Service states: "Residential customers of the City of Hendersonville Solid Waste services who suffer physical conditions which would cause it to be an extreme hardship may obtain back or side-yard pickup of refuse containers." For further information and an application, download the Special Service Form [PDF]
Send completed Special Service Form, signed by your physician, to:
Sanitation Division – Special Service Request
Public Works Department
305 Williams Street
Hendersonville, NC 28792