"Only rain down the drain"
Hendersonville's Stormwater Management Program works to preserve, protect, and restore the quality of water in the streams, rivers, and lakes within the City of Hendersonville. The City's Stormwater Management program was developed in compliance with the Federal Clean Water act and the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality to ensure that stormwater is effectively controlled in order to reduce pollution generated from stormwater runoff.
The City of Hendersonville is a federally designated National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II community and operates under the authority of the Stormwater Management Program which became effective in August of 2007 after being drafted into the city's Code of Ordinances and operates as a division of the Engineering Department. NPDES Phase II is a federal and state mandated program under the Clean Water Act to address non-point source pollution or stormwater runoff. The City's NPDES Permit consists of six management areas that reduce stormwater pollution and assures clean water is maintained in our city's water bodies:
- Public Outreach and Education
- Public Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Runoff Control
- Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping
The City of Hendersonville stormwater management program includes educational and regulatory initiatives to encourage environmentally sound development and redevelopment. The City's recently revised Stormwater Ordinance provides guidance on stormwater management plans required for development and redevelopment, and encourages the prevention of illicit discharges.
Components of the program include:
- Annual Stormwater Management Plan: City of Hendersonville Stormwater Management Plan
- Providing measures to meet City of Hendersonville NPDES Phase 2 Permit
- Documents/Forms to help developers understand the regulations and submit quality stormwater management plans
- Public education and outreach to improve stormwater pollution and water quality throughout Hendersonville.
- Pubic Participation & Involvement: The public can provide valuable input and assistance to the stormwater management program. The City provides the public opportunities to play an active role in both the development and implementation of the stormwater program.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT RECENT LEGISLATION (SEE PAGES 18 & 19) AT THE STATE LEVEL HAS AFFECTED OUR STORMWATER ORDINANCE - WE WILL BE UPDATING OUR ORDINANCE TO COMPLY**
Resources for Property Owners and Developers
The documents found on the pages below are designed to assist property owners and developers navigate the process of stormwater plan submittals, proper SCM selection, and SCM inspection reporting and maintenance. If you have any questions please contact the Stormwater Administrator at 828-697-3013.