Environmental Sustainability Board
Overview & Purpose
The City of Hendersonville believes environmental sustainability is critical to preserving the community for future generations and has adopted this goal as a core value. The Environmental Sustainability Board was created in 2015 and serves in a dual role as an advisor to City Council on sustainability policies, and as outreach advocates to gain citizen support for sustainability practices and initiatives. The Board completes the below support roles for the City:
- Advise, deliberate and make recommendations to the City Council to help facilitate the implementation of the Comprehensive Plan as it relates to environmental sustainability in the city;
- Provide City Council with representative community participation in preparing and implementing plans and reports concerning environmental sustainability in the City of Hendersonville;
- Advise Sustainability Manager on the City’s Sustainability Strategic Plan progress and implementation; and
- Recommend to City Council an overall policy for continued sustainability and assist with citizen-led efforts in furtherance thereof.
- Promote, facilitate, and act as liaison to educate citizens on environmental sustainability issues affecting the City of Hendersonville.
Activities may include the following:
- Recommend requirements and procedures for waste reduction and other sustainable practices at festivals and/or special events
- Assist staff in researching effectiveness and costs of sustainable practices and make reports to City Council of any recommendations.
- Review programs and activities other communities have implemented that would be effective in Hendersonville.
- Participate in community outreach at public events to educate citizens on environmental issues and related City programs.
- Collect feedback from citizens on new or proposed efforts to determine effectiveness
Resources & Documents
Regular meetings are held on the third Thursday at 3:30 p.m. in the 2nd Floor Meeting Room inside City Hall located at 160 6th Ave. E., Hendersonville, NC 28792.
For the public to attend virtually they may do so by joining via zoom.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 810 1803 3526
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,81018033526#,,,,*256624# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 309 205 3325 US, +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago), +1 646 558 8656 US (New York), +1 646 931 3860 US, +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC), +1 305 224 1968 US, +1 720 707 2699 US (Denver), +1 253 205 0468 US, +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma), +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston), +1 360 209 5623 US, +1 386 347 5053 US, +1 507 473 4847 US, +1 564 217 2000 US, +1 669 444 9171 US, +1 689 278 1000 US, and +1 719 359 4580 US
Meeting ID: 810 1803 3526
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kdDrNCLhx
The ESB has a subcommittee dedicated to planning a new event called Hendo Earth Fest. The planning subcommittee will hold meetings on the following Fridays at 10:30 am in the 2nd Floor Meeting Room inside City Hall located at 160 6th Ave. E., Hendersonville, NC 28792. More information to come on new meetings for 2024 Hendo Earth Fest.
Membership shall be composed from the following membership categories: Membership shall be composed from the following membership categories: (5) Residents of the City of Hendersonville. (3) At-Large Members, (1) At-Large Member - seat to be filled by an individual, principal or other significant representative of an organization or business that demonstrates a commitment to an environmentally sustainable future, as determined by the City Council, (1) City Council Liaison. (City Council will appoint the City Council Liaison to this Board. The City Council Liaison shall not be considered for purposes of determining quorum and is not a voting member.)
Staff Liaison The City Manager shall appoint a staff liaison to the Committee who shall assist the Committee with carrying out their duties and responsibilities. The Staff Liaison shall act as the Secretary and liaison between the Board, City Departments, and the City Council and shall have the charge of correspondence, minutes, notifying members of meetings, and other information.
Selection of the Chair and Vice Chair. The chair shall be a resident of the City of Hendersonville and shall be selected by majority vote of the ESB Board Members.
Terms of appointment are three years. Board members shall be appointed to staggered three-year terms by the City Council annually in June. No member shall serve more than two consecutive full three-year terms unless otherwise specified in this charter. Members shall serve without compensation. At the end of a member’s term, they must take a one-year hiatus before seeking reappointment to the Board.