The Administration Department is made of up the City Manager, Assistant City Manager, City Clerk, City Attorney, Budget and Management Analyst, and the Communications Manager.
City Manager John Connet
The City Manager is John Connet. John has a Bachelor's Degree from Western Carolina University and Master of Public Administration from Appalachian State University. John is a member of the International City/County Manager Association and the North Carolina City/County Manager Association.
The City of Hendersonville operates under the Council Manager form of government. The powers and duties of the City Manager are set forth in NC § 160A-148. The City Council sets policy and the City Manager handles day-to-day operations of the City. If you have a complaint that is not resolved by speaking with the department head (as may be the case when your complaint involves a question of City policy or cases that eventually will be directed to the City Council) then contact the City Manager.
The manager is the chief administrator of the City. He is responsible to the City Council for administration of all the City's affairs placed in his charge by them, and has the following duties:
- Appoints and, when necessary, suspends or removes employees in accordance with general personnel rules, regulations, policies, or ordinances as the council may adopt.
- Directs and supervises the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, subject to the general direction and control of the Council, except as otherwise provided by law.
- Attends meetings of the Council and recommends for adoption such measures as he deems necessary to better serve the public.
- Sees that all laws of the State and the ordinances, resolutions, and regulations of the Council are faithfully executed within the City.
- Prepares and submits the annual budget and capital program to the Council.
- Submits to the Council and makes available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of the fiscal year.
- Completes other reports as the Council may require concerning the operations of City departments, offices, and agencies subject to his direction and control.
- Generally promulgates the policies of the City as established by the City Council.
The City Manager, the City Attorney and the City Clerk are appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the City Council. All other employees are appointed and work at the pleasure of the City Manager.
The City Manager is also charged as the Budget Officer as required by NC General Statute 159-9. He prepares and submits the budget to the City Council for their consideration, prepares the budget ordinance which authorizes all financial transactions of the City (with certain exceptions), and it establishes the tax rate.
Assistant City Manager Brian Pahle
Brian is responsible for assisting the Manager with the development of the annual budget, a variety of special and multi-departmental projects and represents the City at local and intergovernmental meetings. He consults and advises department heads in areas of budget and fiscal management, personnel and staffing issues, purchasing and other administrative actions as requested. In addition, he provides technical advice and guidance to the Manager and Council.
The City Clerk is Angela Reece. The City Clerk serves as a direct link between the citizens of the community and their government. Duties of t
he City Clerk are set out in NC § 160A-171 and also include: giving notice of meetings of the council, assisting in the preparation of the agenda and
organizing meetings of the City Council, serving as custodian of City of Hendersonville municipal records, ordinances, resolutions, policies, etc., More information on
responds to requests for information from citizens, businesses, media and other agencies, maintains information on all the boards and commissions appointed by the City Council. The Clerk records today's events for tomorrow's history. Advisory Boards & Commissions may be found here.
The City of Hendersonville City Clerk's Office is frequently mistaken as the County Clerk of Court. The City Clerk does not maintain court records or vital records information.
The Henderson County Clerk of Court maintains this information. If you have questions about court dates, court records, etc. please contact their office at 828-694-4100 to make a request. For information on birth or death certificates, divorce decrees and other recorded information, please contact the Henderson County Register of Deeds at 828-697-4901.
The Communications Manager is Allison Justus. Allison works to ensure information about news, programs and services from City departments and elected officials are delivered efficiently and effectively to media organizations, employees and the public. Visit the City News page for recent press releases and news items. To connect with the City of Hendersonville on social media, visit the Get Connected page.
Budget and Management Analyst
The Budget and Management Analyst is Adam Murr. Adam performs advanced professional work in the preparation and administration of the City's operating and capital budgets. Work includes a variety of budgeting tasks involving statistical financial reports, budgetary accounting, generating spread sheets and graphics on fiscal matters, generating a variety of records and financial reports, and performing related fiscal duties.