Hendersonville Water & Sewer is responsible for reading more than 31,000 meters located across the City’s water system. These water meters and connections must always remain accessible to Water Meter Technicians so they can do their job safely and efficiently.
Meter technicians need meters to be free from obstructions to ensure they can collect an accurate read. They also need access to make repairs, conduct routine maintenance, turn water off and on, and make replacements if necessary.
The City offers a free AquaHawk Alerting system that gives customers more control over their water expenses. If meters are obstructed, this can prevent AquaHawk from working properly and cause customers to miss out on alerts about abnormal water usage and potential leaks.
Keep your water meter clear and accessible!
- Trees, plantings and landscaping
- Trim bushes, trees and grass that block access or cover the meter.
- Minimize planting in the area where technicians must travel to access the meter.
- Remove all low-hanging branches over the meter box.
- Do not bury or mulch, gravel, or pave over your meter.
- Keep pets away from meter and the path that leads to your meter.
- If technicians are unable to access the meter due to an unsecured dog, arrangements must be made with the property owner to return at another time.
- No objects should cover or block access to the meter box. This includes lawn ornaments, flower boxes, rocks, garbage cans, recycling bins, etc.
- Paving, fencing, decking and other structures should not cover the meter.
- Avoid parking vehicles, trailers, and construction equipment over the meter.
- Locked gates
- Ensure that meters are not blocked by locked gates or fencing.
- Make sure your home’s address is clearly displayed on your residence.
- This also assists emergency personnel who may need to access your home in the event of an emergency.
The meter technician or other Hendersonville Water & Sewer representative must contact the property owner so that the obstacle preventing meter access can be removed. Revisiting properties a second time is inefficient and takes more time on the part of the property owner and the technician.
Call Hendersonville Water & Sewer at (828) 697-3073.