The responsibilities of the Public Works Department include:
- Coordinating street maintenance
- Maintaining traffic signals and lights
- Garbage and trash collection
- Maintaining public buildings, grounds and cemetery
- Recycling program
- Snow and ice removal
- Leaf collection
- Removal of dead animals within the street right of way
- Beautification of downtown Hendersonville and Seventh Avenue Historical District
- the City Garage.
Business hours for the Public Works Department are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Public Works Department will resume the free mulch and leaf compost give away on September 28th at 3:30 pm at the old Waste Water Treatment Plant which is located at 80 Balfour Road. We plan to give away the mulch and leaf compost until November 4th, 2017.
Garage (or Motorpool): The City Garage (Motorpool) is operated by the Public Works Department. It maintains and repairs all City vehicles. The garage is located at 312 Williams Street. Their phone number is (828) 697-3086.
Bridges: There are 13 bridges in Hendersonville that are not maintained by NCDOT. Bridges are thoroughly inspected every two years by State certified inspectors.
City Bridges [PDF]