Good people are found, not changed. Moreover, if you want motivated people, you have to find them, not motivate them. That’s what we believe! Our aim is to employ mature, benevolent, empathetic people…problem solvers, who will treat our customers the way they would want to be treated.
If you appreciate an autonomous, supportive work environment where you will be allowed to do your job and reach your potential, the Hendersonville Police Department offers employment opportunities in the following full time and part time positions: (depending on vacancy)
Currently we are only accepting applications for Reserve Police Officer.
Full Time Positions:
The list below describes our full time positions.
• Police Officer
• Police Dispatcher
• Records Clerk
• Administrative Assistant
• Parking Enforcement
Reserve and Part Time Positions:
The list below describes our reserve and part time positions.
• Reserve Police Officer
• Reserve Police Dispatcher
• School Crossing Guard
• Volunteers (non-paid)
(This applies to full time employees only.)
· Competitive Starting Salary
· Longevity Pay Increases
· Merit Pay Increases
· Educational Assistance
· Paid Health / Dental Insurance
· Paid Life Insurance ($25,000)
· 2 Weeks Paid Vacation /yr.
· 11 Paid Holidays /yr.
· Paid Sick Days / Funeral Leave
· State Retirement
· 401K provided for sworn employees, optional for non-sworn
Police Officer Extras
Our Patrol Bureau also offers additional training and advancement opportunities.
Our department has a School Resource Officer position, D.A.R.E. instructor positions, K-9 Officer positions, and SWAT positions as well as a command structure including Sergeants, Lieutenants, and Captains.
All officers also receive a take home patrol vehicle and are issued standard equipment including weapons, uniforms, bulletproof vests, shoes, and leather gear.
Qualifications & Requirements
1. Age Requirements:
Non-Sworn Positions (Office Assistants, Dispatchers, Crossing Guards, Parking) must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
Sworn Positions (Police Officers) must be a minimum of 20 years of age.
2. Sworn position applicants must have successfully completed BLET or equivalent from other state that is transferable to N.C.
3. Must be a citizen of the United States.
4. Civilian applicants must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. Applicants for a sworn position that do not have BLET certification must have a high school diploma. Applicants for sworn positions who are BLET certified must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
5. Must have not pled guilty to, or have been found guilty of, any crime other than a misdemeanor.
6. Must be of good moral character as determined by completion of a background investigation.
7. Must be able to perform all duties related to position applying for. All full time positions require keyboarding skills.
Hiring Process Steps
1. Obtain, fully complete, and submit application for employment.
2. Must satisfactorily complete an initial interview with the Captain and/or supervisors of bureau you will be assigned to.
3. Must satisfactorily pass a complete background investigation.
4. Must satisfactorily pass an oral board interview.
5. Must pass an interview with the Chief of Police.
6. Must pass job function based performance test; Police Officer applicants must pass a physical abilities test.
7. Must satisfactorily pass a lie detection test.
8. Must pass a drug screen test.
9. Must pass a medical physical examination; Telecommunicator applicants must pass an additional hearing test.
10. Police Officer applicants must pass a psychological examination.
To open a web fill / printable Application for Employment click here. (Applications can also be obtained in person at the Police Department.)
Applications can be submitted in person at the Police Department, or by mail:
Hendersonville Police Department
145 Fifth Avenue East
Hendersonville, NC 28792-4394