City Manager John Connet
The City Manager is John Connet. John has a Bachelor’s Degree from Western Carolina University and Master of Public Administration from Appalachian State University. John is a member of the International City/County Manager Association and the North Carolina City/County Manager Association.
His office is located on the second floor of City Hall, 160 Sixth Avenue East, Hendersonville, NC. He can be reached by phone at 828/697-3000. email
Council Manager Form of Government
The City Council sets policy and the City Manager handles day-to-day operations of the City. If you have a complaint that is not resolved by speaking with the department head (as may be the case when your complaint involves a question of City policy or cases that eventually will be directed to the City Council) then contact the City Manager.
The manager is the chief administrator of the City. He is responsible to the City Council for administration of all the City's affairs placed in his charge by them, and has the following duties:
- Appoints and, when necessary, suspends or removes employees in accordance with general personnel rules, regulations, policies, or ordinances as the council may adopt.
- Directs and supervises the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, subject to the general direction and control of the Council, except as otherwise provided by law.
- Attends meetings of the Council and recommends for adoption such measures as he deems necessary to better serve the public.
- Sees that all laws of the State and the ordinances, resolutions, and regulations of the Council are faithfully executed within the City.
- Prepares and submits the annual budget and capital program to the Council.
- Submits to the Council and makes available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of the fiscal year.
- Completes other reports as the Council may require concerning the operations of City departments, offices, and agencies subject to his direction and control.
- Generally promulgates the policies of the City as established by the City Council.
The City Manager, the City Attorney and the City Clerk are appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the City Council. All other employees are appointed and work at the pleasure of the City Manager.
The City Manager is also charged as the Budget Officer as required by NC General Statute 159-9. He prepares and submits the budget to the City Council for their consideration, prepares the budget ordinance which authorizes all financial transactions of the City (with certain exceptions), and it establishes the tax rate.