Beer & Wine License
Who Must Obtain A Beer & Wine Business Privilege License
Each business located within the city limits of Hendersonville that is required by law to purchase an ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) Permit from the State of North Carolina is also required to purchase a local Beer and Wine License.
You must first obtain a permit from the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (NCABC). After obtaining this permit the State will notify the City of Hendersonville when the permit is approved, the City will then send a bill to the business for the Beer and Wine Privilege License. You are not allowed to sell beer or wine until this license is paid.
The license to sell beer and wine must be purchased annually. The business year for beer and wine business privilege licenses begins on May 1, and ends April 30 of the following year. A license to sell beer and wine must be renewed no later than May 1st of each year.
Beer & Wine Business Privilege License Fees
The total amount of License Tax due will vary for businesses with multiple locations. These licenses cannot be prorated.
- On-Premises licenses (example: restaurants or lounges): $30
- Off-Premises licenses (example: convenience or grocery store): $15
- Tax Schedule (PDF)
Beer & Wine Business Privilege License Penalties
It is the responsibility of each individual to determine whether the business he or she conducts is taxed under the City ordinance, and if so, whether that tax has been paid for the current year. No person or business entity conducting business within the city limits of the City of Hendersonville for which a beer and wine business privilege license is required, shall do so without first obtaining a beer and wine business privilege license and paying the appropriate fee(s). Any business conducting business activity within the City limits of Hendersonville without a beer and wine business privilege license, shall be liable for back (unpaid) business license taxes and shall be subject to a penalty of 5% of the annual license tax for each month that the business operates without a license, up to a maximum of 25% per annum.
How To Apply For A Beer and Wine Business Privilege License
1. You must first obtain a permit from the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (NCABC).
2. The State will send you a packet within this packet is a Local Government Opinion Form, the top part of this form must be completed and submitted to the City of Hendersonville Police Department.
3. Within 15 days the Police Department will complete the form and return to you.
4. All of the completed forms in the packet including the completed Local Government Opinion Form will need to be submitted to the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (NCABC).
5. The state will notify you of your approval or denial
6. The state will notify the City of Hendersonville of your Approval/Denial and the type of permits once approval is received you will be billed for your Beer and Wine Privilege Business License Permit based on type of permit and number of locations.
7. Sell of Beer and/or Wine cannot begin until the Permit has been paid
8. Once payment has been made the city will mail you out a Beer and Wine Permit, this must be displayed within the establishment
The waiting period for application approval is approximately 90 days from the date you submit the application. You will be notified when your application has been approved.