Downtown Treat Street Carnival, Holiday Street Lighting Canceled Bearfootin’ Art Walk Auction Goes Virtual
Downtown Treat Street Carnival, Holiday Street Lighting Canceled
Bearfootin’ Art Walk Auction Goes Virtual
HENDERSONVILLE, N.C. (September 21, 2020) - After serious thought about the safety of the community and statewide mandates on public gatherings, the Friends of Downtown Hendersonville has decided not to host the annual Treat Street Carnival or Tree Lighting event this year.
Both events take place over the course of just a couple of hours and cause a lot of crowding. “People are packed together tightly in both of these circumstances,” said Lew Holloway, Director of Community Development. “There’s just no viable way to ensure social distancing in either environment without drastically changing the aspects of these events that people know and love.”
Traditionally, the Treat Street Carnival is held on Halloween evening, and the Tree Lighting occurs on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
On the bright side, the spooky spirit of Halloween as well as the warm-hearted fun of the holidays will still be present downtown even without the draw of these events.
· The Bearfootin' Art Walk Auction will take place virtually in order to ensure the health and safety of the community. There are some beautiful bears in this year’s lot and the nonprofit beneficiaries need the fundraising now more than ever.
· How to bid: Place your bid now on the virtual auction site. Once you've registered and begun bidding, you'll be notified if you've been outbid. Tune in on Facebook Live, October 24 at 5:30 p.m., as we receive final bids on the bears and announce winners. All bidding stops on October 24 at 7 p.m.
· The Hendersonville Farmers Market will operate regular hours (8 a.m. - 1 p.m.) on October 31 for Halloween-themed fun and an array of fall harvest produce, baked goods, and more.
· Though the Tree Lighting ceremony won’t happen as in previous years, the tree in the Old Courthouse square will officially light up on Friday, November 28, and merchants are encouraged to stay open late for shoppers and families to enjoy an evening downtown.
· Love Hendo – Shop Local – Saturday is scheduled for November 7 and December 5, shutting down Main Street to allow for pedestrian fun and the expansion of downtown restaurants and retail stores.
· Olde Fashioned Christmas on Main Street will take place on December 4. Merchants are encouraged to stay open later into the evening for shoppers to enjoy a lovely evening, complete with carolers!
· Luminaries Night in Downtown Hendersonville will take place on December 12! The Friends of Downtown in partnership with Four Seasons Hospice and downtown merchants invite you to come shop in historic downtown Hendersonville and follow the illuminated pathways to merry shops open late for your holiday shopping convenience.
· Hendersonville Farmers Market will host special holiday markets on November 28 and December 5, featuring a plethora of artisan crafts and handmade products in addition to locally produced food. These holiday markets will occur during regular hours of 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the market’s normal location on Maple Street – grab a hot coffee or cider and bundle up!
· Peppermint Bear Scavenger Hunt: Peppermint Bear will take you on a fun-filled bear hunt through downtown Hendersonville looking for her cubs. The scavenger hunt goes on from November 27 through December 23, 2020. For more information about the Scavenger Hunt or to pick your copy of the “Home for the Holidays” calendar of events brochure, stop by the Visitor Center at 201 South Main Street.