The City of Hendersonville and Henderson County continue to experience lower than normal amounts of rainfall, resulting in lower than normal levels in the Mills River watershed, our water supply due to the on-going drought conditions affecting all of western North Carolina. On Monday, October 17, 2016 in accordance with the City’s Water Shortage Response and Conservation ordinance (City Code of Ordinances, Chapter 52, Article VI), the City Manager declared a Stage I Water Shortage Advisory. According to the NC Drought Monitor, Henderson County is currently experiencing “Severe” drought conditions.
“The City’s conservation goal in Stage 1 is for our customers to reduce their daily water usage by 10%. Since Stage 1 was initiated, our daily production levels at the water treatment plant have been reduced by 7.4%. We would like to thank our customers for being so diligent in their efforts to conserve their use of water.”- Lee Smith, Utilities Director.
Stage I water conservation compliance consists of voluntary measures including, but not limited to:
(1) Limit car washing to a minimum;
(2) Limit lawn and garden watering to that which is necessary for plants to survive;
(3) Do not wash down outside areas such as sidewalks, patios, parking lots, service bays, aprons, etc.;
(4) Do not leave faucets running while shaving or rinsing dishes;
(5) Water shrubbery to the minimum required, reusing household water when possible;
(6) Limit use of clothes washers and dishwashers, and when used, operate fully loaded;
(7) Use showers for bathing rather than bathtub and limit showers to no more than four minutes;
(8) Limit flushing of toilets by multiple usage;
(9) The use of disposable and biodegradable dishes is encouraged;
(10) The use of flow restrictive and water saving devices;
(11) Limit hours of operation of water-cooled air conditioners;
(12) All residents, businesses and institutions are requested to temporarily delay new landscape work until the water shortage has ended.
For more information about conserving water at home and at work, please go to our website at: http://www.hendersonvillenc.gov/water-conservation
For more information please contact Hendersonville Water and Sewer at 828/697-3073.