Walk Wise, Drive Smart: A Senior Pedestrian Safety Program In Hendersonville
Prepared for the national Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Cooperative Agreement DTNH22-05-H-15095
William W. Hunter, UNC Highway Safety Research Center
Rebecca H. Hunter, Center for Aging and Health, UNC School of Medicine
Next to driving or riding in cars, walking is the most frequent mode of transportation for senior adults. Walk Wise, Drive Smart aims to create more pedestrian-friendly environments for senior adults within Hendersonville, NC, and surrounding areas.
Walk Wise, Drive Smart is a neighborhood-based project that is part of the Henderson County Livable and Senior Friendly Community Initiative. The program builds upon established community relationships and uses community input to guide improvements to the walkability of Hendersonville.
Walk Wise, Drive Smart combines educational, encouragement, enforcement and environmental activities to create a safer and more inviting walking community. The program seeks to develop and implement a model that can be replicated in similar settings in North Carolina and beyond
Funded by the federal National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Walk Wise, Drive Smart is coordinated by the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center in partnership with the community of Hendersonville.
Walk Wise, Drive Smart also receives in-kind support from many state and local organizations. These include:
- N.C. Governor's Highway Safety Program;
- N.C. Department of Transportation;
- UNC Healthy Aging Research Network;
- Henderson County Council on Aging;
- N.C. Department of Health and Human Services Division on Aging and Adult Services;
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center; and
- Henderson County Healthy Aging Council.
Neighborhood Walking Maps:
- Map of Walk Wise, Drive Smart Neighborhoods
- Jackson Park Map 1 (short)
- Jackson Park Map 2 (medium)
- Jackson Park Map 3 (long)
- Main Street to Hyman Heights Walking Route (PDF, 1.45 MB)
- Oklawaha Greenway (PDF, 840 KB)
- West Hendersonville Walking Route (PDF, 228 KB)
- Downtown Sammy Williams (PDF, 494 KB)
- Balsam (PDF, 471 KB)
- Carolina Village (PDF, 266 KB)
- Druid Hills (PDF, 572 KB)
- Hebron (PDF, 428 KB)
- Hyman Heights (PDF, 345 KB)
- Osceola Lake (PDF, 552 KB)
- Green Meadows (PDF, 426 KB)